NEWFox News articles are now available to listen to!
DALLAS – Veteran Republican pollster Jim McLaughlin calls the straw poll ballot at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) “the ultimate barometer of what’s going on in the conservative movement.”
McLaughlin and Associates, which conducted polling for former President Donald Trump’s successful 2016 election and unsuccessful 2020 re-election bid, will once again oversee the CPAC straw poll, this time at the confab in Dallas.
The three-day conference concludes Saturday with the release of the straw poll results — including the highly anticipated 2024 Republican presidential nomination questions — followed by a keynote speech from the former president.
McLaughlin, who’s been attending CPAC for decades, told Fox News that “just like back in the old days when Ronald Reagan defined and was setting the tone for the conservative movement, it’s the same thing right now with Donald Trump.”
2024 WATCH – CPAC ATTENDEES CHOOSE FAVORITE PRINCIPAL CANDIDATE AS TRUMP OR DESANTIS
As Fox News first reported last week, Trump’s name sits atop the GOP presidential nomination straw poll ballot, above the names of 20 other Republicans considered potential White House contenders in the 2024 election.
A second list is included in the 2024 straw poll without Trump. The former president’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., takes his place in the first spot on the ballot in the second 2024 question. Both questions allow voters to indicate their preference and allow them to list potential candidates.
He is still the most influential and popular politician in the Republican Party. The former president, who continues to play a kingmaker role in GOP primaries, and who has repeatedly teased a White House run in 2024 for the past year and a quarter, won 55% support at the 2021 CPAC, Orlando, Florida. His support jumped to 70% in the 2024 straw poll conducted at last summer’s CPAC in Texas. Trump captured 59% votes in an anonymous straw poll that was conducted online at the CPAC Orlando gathering in Feb.
FIRST ON FOX: WHO’S ON CPAC 2024 STRAWPOLL BALLOT
Trump will not be the only candidate on the Texas CPAC main election ballot.
– Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah, the 2012 GOP presidential nominee
– Former Vice President Mike Pence
– Former Ambassador to the United Nations and former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley
– Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas
– Former Ohio Gov. John Kasich
– Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida
– Rand Paul of Kentucky
– Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis
– South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem
– 2016 presidential contender and former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Dr. Ben Carson
– Sen. Tom Cotton of Arkansas
– Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri
– Sen. Rick Scott of Florida, the National Republican Senatorial Committee chair
– Former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo
– Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is a 2016 presidential candidate
– Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan
– Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina
– Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin
– Texas Gov. Gregg Abbott
– Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming
DeSantis came in a distant second in the straw poll in Orlando in February at 28%, up from his 21% standing in both CPAC straw polls from last year. None of the other 19 names on the ballot for February cracked 2%.
The former president’s strong performances on the unscientific surveys come as no surprise. CPAC has been the most influential and influential gathering of conservatives since Trump’s 2016 victory.
Only confab attendees can vote on the CPAC Texas straw ballot ballot. Voting opened Thursday. The CPAC app will again allow you to vote. At last year’s gathering in Dallas, 1,525 ballots were cast.
Source: Fox News